The Soviet Union
- the Soviet Union was a constitutionally communist state that existed between 1922 and 1991
- ruled by the Communist Party with Moscow as its capital.
- The Bolsheviks, led by Vladimir Lenin, then overthrew theProvisional Government.
- The Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic was established
- Joseph Stalin came to power in the mid-1920s.
- committed the state ideology to Marxism and initiated a centrally planned economy.
- the country underwent a period of rapid industrialization
- laid the basis for later war effort and dominance after World War II