The Russo Japanese War
- Lasted from 1904- 1905
- Began with the Japanese naval attack on Port Arthur
- Determination of both Japan and Russia to develop 'spheres of influence' in the Far East
- Russian troops were occupying Manchuria.
- Russia promised to withdraw these forces by 1903, but didn't.
- Japan was heavily engaged in Korea, successfully increasing her influence in that country.
- Russia also had interest in Korea
- At first Russians and Japanese managed to peacefully coexist, but tensions on both sides led to hostilities.